If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Powercurve

Default Vibration in drivetrain

I am experiencing a vibration that I believe is coming from the rear axle. I have had the axle and bearing (outer) replaced. But I see a lot of movement (in and out) of the axles and do believe the inboard end of the axle shafts are moving. Do anyone know of a good axle repair shop in the Knoxville area?

Been Had Wheelies Silver91Hatch's Avatar

With a C-clip style rear end you will have in/out play in the axle shaft. It should only be a few thosands of an inch but some play is normal.
    Barry a.k.a. BJ, a.k.a. Junkyard Jedi.

Foxbodies:
    1991 Sonic Blue 5.0 Coupe SSP 5 Speed - 99% Stock 7.04 @ 98 mph
    1993 Burgandy 5.0 Coupe Auto - Not so stock 6.xx @ 10Xmph

I expect some play, but I am seeing over 1/4 of an inch movement. This seems excessive! I cannot find a shop that can rebuild an axle and have not been able to locate a rebuilt axle. My car has 39,000 miles and I do not want a used axle that has many more miles and do not know the condition of the axle. I have only added 1973 miles since the axle shafts and bearing were replaced.