If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Powercurve

Default Updated 2016 Dragon Run Route

With the change of hotel, I had to change route plans just a little bit. But no worries, this will be just as epic, maybe even a little more epic than the original plans!

FRIDAY

Since Fontana Village is a bit in the middle of no where, we will eat dinner and have our Friday evening cruise before we actually go to the motel. So here is the plan.

4:00PM- Meet at Legends Sports Grill for an early dinner.

I've never personally ate here, but its legendary(Oh! Nice pun!) with the mini-truckers and bikers that frequent the shows in Maggie Valley. Supposed to be awesome food and a great atmosphere.

Check it out and see what you think!

http://legendssportsgrill.org/

Photos at this link.

http://legendssportsgrill.org/photos.html

Here is the address.

Legends Sports Grill
    3865 Soco Rd
    Maggie Valley, NC 28751

From here we will go across "Soco Gap" or Hwy 19 into Cherokee, NC. This is a pretty popular road with the motorcycles and is pretty challenging in spots. We actually pass by the blue ridge parkway and may swing off for a quick side run here, but more on that later. In Cherokee we will stop for gas and any ice, beer, supplies people may need before heading up the mountain. From Cherokee, we will travel up Hwy 28 into Fontana Village, this will be a little different route than we took up from Bryson City, this section of 28 is a pretty fun stretch of road. This should put us at the motel around 6:30-7:00. Plenty of time to get checked in, grab a few cold ones and hang out for a little bit.

Saturday

Since we are basically at the dragon, there isn't any major need to get up at the crack of dawn. There are a few restaurants on site, I believe at least one of those does serve breakfast, so probably grab some breakfast around 7-8 and mingle, let the cars warm up, etc.

At 8am we will have our drivers meeting out by the cars. We will leave for the dragon at 8:15.

We will make our traditional "pace lap" through The Dragon, but this year, instead of stopping, we will continue on to the Foothills Parkway. It will be a right hand turn off the dragon. We will take Foothills Parkway about 11 miles to "Look Rock" where we will stop and regroup at the scenic overlook. The time should be about 10am at this point. We will spend about 30 minutes here, there is 1/2 mile trail to an overlook if anyone wants to check it out, there is also an overlook right beside the parking area.

From here we will head back to The Dragon. We will pull over lakeside where we stopped in 2015 and regroup. From here we will make a spirited "on your own" run across The Dragon. We will be up on the NC side at Killboy's store. We will leave our cars here and go across the road to the Dragon's End Pub and eat lunch in the same place we did last year.

After lunch, we will head back towards Hwy 28 and Fontana Village, but we will keep going to Fontana Dam. I have several photo spots picked out for us here. We won't be very far from the hotel, but we will probably spend an hour or so mingling around here and taking in the sites.

After than we will head back to the hotel to rest, mingle, drink and be merry. We will have our traditional cookout that night, more details to come on it later.

Sunday

Since it's Easter Weekend, we will depart early without and real planned events on Sunday morning so everyone has a chance to get home for whatever Church or family events they may have that day.
    Jeff aka Chumlee aka Cobra_4

Supporting Member Supporting Member No2ndgear's Avatar

I need some hotel info

Sounds awesome Jeff. I can't wait!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    http://sefb.net/forums/image.php?u=2203&type=sigpic&dateline=1485354601

Quote Originally Posted by No2ndgear View Post
    I need some hotel info
    http://sefb.net/forums/showthread.ph...TED-Motel-Info
    Jeff aka Chumlee aka Cobra_4

Lovin' the sound of this!!

...Tap-Tap!!
    -Troy "Get The Fox Out!"
    1992 LX Vert

Subin in
    Vortech blown, intercooled 1993 Cobra black on black sittin on 3 piece wheels

Platinum Supporting Member Platinum Supporting Member ESGT's Avatar

I am ready!!!!

sounds good
    Andy Walker

Member Supporting Member 86gtstang's Avatar

I've been ready since last year

Robert
    86 GT vert
    85 GT

Formerly dirtysanchez

The dragon used to be a lot more fun than it is now. I understand that it's probably in the best interest of the general public. Someone probably ruined it for everyone like they almost did to Cars & Coffee. We used to run up and down it all day on our sport bikes and not see a cop. The last two times I went, there were cops parked everywhere it seemed like. Often enough where every time you felt like you had seen the last one and picked up the pace a little, there one would be. The official speed limit is very low, like 20-30 I believe so although still a beautiful drive, doing it at 20 certainly took away a bit of the experience. I bet it's nice in a Convertible though!

We definitely stuck to the speed limit

http://sefb.net/forums/image.php?u=2203&type=sigpic&dateline=1485354601

Quote Originally Posted by mymastifftucker View Post
    We definitely stuck to the speed limit

There's no way I ever got over 35.
    Dylan

'85 Mercury Marquis Wagon
    '92 GT

"I spent a lot of money on booze, women, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." - George Best

Official Bullet Tester Chuckles_5.0's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 5.SLO View Post
    You can't count time parked at Killboys in your average speed calculations...

Sent with smoak signals from a rolling burn out...

---
    "Because they can. Because 'Merica. Because Mustang."
    ---

Quote Originally Posted by 70maverick View Post
    The dragon used to be a lot more fun than it is now. I understand that it's probably in the best interest of the general public. Someone probably ruined it for everyone like they almost did to Cars & Coffee. We used to run up and down it all day on our sport bikes and not see a cop. The last two times I went, there were cops parked everywhere it seemed like. Often enough where every time you felt like you had seen the last one and picked up the pace a little, there one would be. The official speed limit is very low, like 20-30 I believe so although still a beautiful drive, doing it at 20 certainly took away a bit of the experience. I bet it's nice in a Convertible though!
    What time of the year you go makes a huge difference though. We didnt see a single leo during our dragon run last year.

Billy

90 LX coupe Dart 446ci/Twin turbo in the works
    93 LX calypso hatch....holding down the floor in the garage for 17+ years..
    99 Cobra vert w/ a 03 swap and solid rear 482rwhp/507rwtq
    18 GT Performance Pack 1 almost stock 442rwhp/406rwtq

Quote Originally Posted by 5.SLO View Post
    Yup 35 mph in 1rst Gear!
    I think we hit first Gear in the hair pins a few times but then grabbed 2nd.. 3rd...BRAKE! Heel/toe, 2nd...3rd...... Lol.
    Vortech blown, intercooled 1993 Cobra black on black sittin on 3 piece wheels

We ran the dragon last May and we only saw 3 officers but were able to stretch out a bit we had fun but we did have to stop quick on a turn because of a bike crash