Hello there, is this your first visit?
Register

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Fox Resto
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 25 of 25
  1. #21
    Authorized Vendor SPeace-ATL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    370

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 4.6L GT View Post
    Will improperly adjusted stops in a T-5 cause the shifter to rattle pretty loud under a pull in 3rd and 4th? Maybe they are adjusted too tight? I can stop the rattle by grabbing the shifter knob, but it's very annoying.
    The shifter stops would not cause that. Mis-adjusted stops will improperly limit the travel of the shifter keeping the transmission from fully engaging a gear and causing it to pop out of gear.

    It seems that only the factory shifter has a rubber isolator between the handle and the shifter base. This rubber makes the shifts rather sloppy, but it does hold back noise and vibrations!

    Unfortunately, driving with your hand on the shifter to make it quiet will also put a little pressure on the plastic fork pads and encourage them to melt down as you drive...
    - Stan -


    Mustang 5-Speed Specialists - Authorized Distributor for Astro Performance products!
    Offering quality rebuilt T-5, T-45, and TR3650 transmissions in Atlanta

  2. #22
    Member 4.6L GT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Asheboro NC
    Posts
    2,746

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SPeace-ATL View Post
    The shifter stops would not cause that. Mis-adjusted stops will improperly limit the travel of the shifter keeping the transmission from fully engaging a gear and causing it to pop out of gear.

    It seems that only the factory shifter has a rubber isolator between the handle and the shifter base. This rubber makes the shifts rather sloppy, but it does hold back noise and vibrations!

    Unfortunately, driving with your hand on the shifter to make it quiet will also put a little pressure on the plastic fork pads and encourage them to melt down as you drive...
    So this is normal? It is just the vibrations coming through an uninsulated aftermarket shifter?
    Matt


    89 LX: 306 w/ Probe forged pistons, TFS 170 heads, TFS stage II cam, Edel. Performer intake, 24lb. inj, afpr, 3.73 gear, moser 31 spline axles, 5lug with pbr front calipers, rear discs, Lakewood upper/lower CA, Maximum Motorsports Subframes, (Boost coming soon!)

  3. #23
    Authorized Vendor SPeace-ATL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    370

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 4.6L GT View Post
    So this is normal? It is just the vibrations coming through an uninsulated aftermarket shifter?
    Somewhat, but shifters like to WEAR and the handle gets really loose.
    In my opinion it almost seems like the aftermarket shifters seem to wear faster then the stock ones.
    Don't interpret this as knocking aftermarket shifters. They shift well and feel great.

    To check a shifter for wear, see if there is any VERTICAL play in the shifter handle.
    Lift it up and see how much it rises. A new shifter base has no vertical play.

    It is possible that a worn shifter is making the vibrations more pronounced.
    - Stan -


    Mustang 5-Speed Specialists - Authorized Distributor for Astro Performance products!
    Offering quality rebuilt T-5, T-45, and TR3650 transmissions in Atlanta

  4. #24
    Member 4.6L GT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Asheboro NC
    Posts
    2,746

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SPeace-ATL View Post
    To check a shifter for wear, see if there is any VERTICAL play in the shifter handle.
    Lift it up and see how much it rises. A new shifter base has no vertical play.

    It is possible that a worn shifter is making the vibrations more pronounced.
    There is a little play up and down, maybe a 1/16". Can having a worn out shifter cause any damage to the tranny?
    Matt


    89 LX: 306 w/ Probe forged pistons, TFS 170 heads, TFS stage II cam, Edel. Performer intake, 24lb. inj, afpr, 3.73 gear, moser 31 spline axles, 5lug with pbr front calipers, rear discs, Lakewood upper/lower CA, Maximum Motorsports Subframes, (Boost coming soon!)

  5. #25
    Authorized Vendor SPeace-ATL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    370

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 4.6L GT View Post
    There is a little play up and down, maybe a 1/16". Can having a worn out shifter cause any damage to the tranny?
    It will not hurt the transmission.
    1/16" isn't all that bad...
    I've seen some with as much as 1/4" of play!
    - Stan -


    Mustang 5-Speed Specialists - Authorized Distributor for Astro Performance products!
    Offering quality rebuilt T-5, T-45, and TR3650 transmissions in Atlanta

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •